INCIDENT REPORT No.24
Building 20: Occupation
Radio Transmission, Broadcast Daily 6-6:18 PM
Building 20 & Building
Celebrating Building 20: History researched and written by Nancy Heywood,
4 March 1998, slightly revised 25 March 1998. Read by Laura Convenienceware.
Celebrating Building 20 excerpt:
Building 20 was completed in December 1943 to house part of the Radiation Laboratory (Rad Lab), the
successful collaboration between scientists and the military that focused on improving the radar technology that greatly contributed
to the Allies' victory in World War II.
In August 1945, the Rad Lab began making preparations for closing its doors.
Plans were under way to bring projects to a close, settle personnel contracts, and publish the technological progress and
research findings of the lab in the Radiation Laboratory Series. Throughout 1946, the spaces the Rad Lab occupied were cleaned
out and the radomes on the roofs were dismantled. However, the buildings were not dismantled. MIT realized that the buildings
would be helpful as enrollments increased dramatically. The MIT President Report, 1945- 1946, states, "the Institute
space occupied by the war projects has been largely recaptured, and the temporary buildings...have been retained by the Institute
to aid us in handling the postwar overload of students." Building 22 was converted into a dormitory, and by 1947 it housed
approximately 600 students. Building 20 was to remain useful to MIT as the site of machine shops, research labs, and offices.
…The day after the Radiation Laboratory was officially terminated, 31 December 1945, the Basic Research Division
was established, on 1 January 1946. Six months later, the Basic Research Division officially became part of MIT under the
newly established Research Laboratory of Electronics (RLE).
A campus plan, dated June 1946, describes Building 20 as
a "temporary war research building, now used for peacetime educational and research experiments." Building 20's
A wing became the primary campus location of the Research Laboratory of Electronics (RLE). RLE was an interdisciplinary lab
initially comprised of five groups: microwave electronics, microwave physics, modern electronic techniques, microwave communication,
and electronic aids to computation. Each research group had space in Building 20 and the lab's headquarters were located in
20A-122. Building 20 also became the first home for another interdisciplinary research organization, the Laboratory for Nuclear
Science (LNS). Various divisions of LNS were located in Building 20: cosmic ray group (20B-124), cyclotron group (20B- 115),
theoretical group (20B-213), and the machine shop (20B- 021). Room 20B-119 was location of the headquarters for LNS, and its
purchasing office was found down the hall in 20B-129.
Installation Detail; TBH, 02, 03, 04
Installation Detail, TBH 01 Interior & IAC
video detail, TBH 01 Interior
Video Details from IAC
Days 1-5: Building 20: Occupation
Days 6-9: Jumpkit (Cleveland)
Days 10-12: Relay : Perimeter Check
click on below for introduction to broadcast of Building
20, Days 1-3
Day 1-3 Transmission: BLDG 20